Many businesses around the Joint Base Lewis-McChord area want to say thanks to active-duty service members and veterans in a tangible way.
There are a variety of freebies on Veterans Day weekend, from free meals to free admittance to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium, Northwest Trek, Mount Rainier National Park and more; so, you won’t want to stay home and miss all the love.
For those looking for a fun experience with the animals, both Northwest Trek in Eatonville and Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma offer free admittance Nov. 10 to 12 for active-duty service members and honorably-discharged veterans. Immediate family members also receive half-price admission.
Proof of military service is required. Acceptable documents include military or veteran identification card, discharge papers or other proof of military service.
Both the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and Northwest Trek are open Nov. 10 to 12 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. America’s favorite bird, Tahoma the bald eagle, will make special appearances at the zoo at noon each day.
Tahoma came to Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium after sustaining a wing injury that left her unable to fly. According to Point Defiance Zoo staff, Tahoma loves people, so she has become an ambassador for her species, which was brought back from the brink of extinction after the pesticide DDT was banned in the 1960s.
Tahoma’s keeper will tell her story and be able to answer questions about eagle conservation. For more information on special Veterans Day events, visit nwtrek.org or pdza.org.
It’s also free to visit Mount Rainier National Park Nov. 11 and 12 in honor of Veterans Day, so be sure to bring military or veteran ID.
As for local restaurants, there are numerous dining establishments offering specials on Veterans Day, and all require military or veteran ID. Restrictions for each establishment vary. Some offer specials to veterans and active-duty service members; others also offer to reserve forces, National Guard components and family members. For more information, check each organization’s website and call ahead before you go.
A few organizations participating are:
• McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants, free lunch or dinner off a special menu Sunday. Reservations are recommended.
• Applebee’s, free dine-in meal from special menu Nov. 11.
• Ivar’s Acres of Clams, Salmon House and Mukilteo Landing, free entrée Nov. 11.
• Ivar’s Seafood Bars, three-piece fish and chips, baby prawns and chips, four-piece pollock and chips, shrimp Caesar salad, or a clam chowder bread bowl on Veterans Day.
• Puyallup Bob’s Burgers and Brew, a free meal, beverage not included, on Veterans Day.
• Red Robin, a free Red’s tavern double burger and bottomless steak fries on Veterans Day.
• Buffalo Wild Wings, free dine-in order of wings and a side of French fries on Veterans Day.
Additional information on participating restaurants is available at: tinyurl.com/ycbg4szm.
Several other freebies are offered for veterans and service members on Veterans Day including: a free haircut at Great Clips and Sports Clips; a free doughnut at Krispy
Kreme; a free small slurpee at 7-Eleven; and a free car wash for veterans and military, no ID required, at all Brown Bear Car Wash tunnel wash locations.